Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Fort Hunter Mansion and Park - Harrisburg, PA



Website: Fort Hunter Mansion and Park
Season: Year Round
Cost: You can enjoy the grounds for free but for the mansion tour: Adults $5.00, Senior Citizens $4.00 Students $3.00. Most special events have some sort of reasonable fee also.
Approximate Length of Visit: Varies
Recommended ages: All ages. Playgrounds for younger kids, fields for older kids, mansion tour for adults.

I have driven by Fort Hunter many times. Many, many, many, many times. It's on my daily commute and my older son always wanted to stop and play there but it was never a good time. Lo and behold, Fort Hunter was part of his first kindergarten field trip.

Fort Hunter is part educational, part recreational.

The Susquehanna River runs along one side of the park, with a lovely view of Rockville Bridge. They have a large field where I've seen kids playing soccer but I've heard from one source that goose poop can be an issue in that field. I'm not sure if it's true or not. I have seen a lot of geese in that field too.

They have two playground areas. They have picnic pavillions. There are several historical buildings, including the mansion and the Centennial Barn. There's a covered bridge that was recently recreated. They also just moved a small old church to the far end of the river side of the park but I'm not sure if you can look inside at this time.

On the day that we were there they had an archeological dig happening behind the mansion.

They run many events at Fort Hunter, several of which are great for families - Maple Sugar Festival, Pennsylvania Indians Festival, Fort Hunter Day, Egg Hunt, Holiday Shop for kids, Halloween, etc. Check their event calendar here for the complete list. There are charges for many of these events but they are reasonable.

Please add your comments regarding this activity or let me know if you have any questions about it that I might be able to answer.

No comments: