Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Chuck E. Cheese - Harrisburg, PA



Website: Chuck E. Cheese
Season: All-year
Costs: Games are all 25 cents (you buy tokens). Pizza, salad, wings, drinks, etc are extra. Look for coupons in your Sunday paper.
Expected Length of Visit: As long as you can stand it
Recommended ages: There are a few kiddie things to do so I'd say walking on up. (This is not the best place to lug around a not-yet-walking baby, especially when it's crowded.)

This post won't have any pictures. I really don't want to take pictures in a Chuck E. Cheese. They might arrest me (and it seems to be a popular place to get arrested these days).

Chuck E. Cheese is the place you take your kids when there is a birthday party or when the weather is bad and there is absolutely nothing else to do.

To be fair, kids LOVE Chuck E. Cheese. When it's not ridiculously crowded, it's actually kind of fun. The games are only a quarter so a trip to Chuck E. Cheese is not an expensive proposition. I can't speak to the food prices since we usually play and run. We prefer to eat in a more relaxing environment so we usually head across the road to TGIFs. There are several other restaurants and fast-food places in the immediate area. I have had the pizza at birthday parties and it's pretty good.

The problem is, it's almost always a Saturday afternoon when we head to Chuck E. Cheese and that is the most crowded time to be in a Chuck E. Cheese. I find it unbearable when it's crowded. You can't get the good games, the play structure gets overloaded and it's simply chaos.

If you've never been to Chuck E. Cheese (and I made it until my late 30s without going there), it's basically games, games, games. Arcade games but for the younger crowd. You can win tickets and redeem them for junk, err, I mean toys or candy, etc. There's also a play structure that runs along part of the ceiling that you'll pray your child doesn't get stuck in. Good luck trying to coax him or her out of there once they get up there.

So, while Chuck E. Cheese isn't my favorite place to go, it can save the day in the middle of winter or on a rainy day.

Please add your comments regarding this activity or let me know if you have any questions about it that I might be able to answer.

No comments: