Thursday, April 30, 2009

Steamtown - Scranton PA



Website: Steamtown
Season: The Park is open daily except Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Years Day.
Cost: Basic Admission is $6 age 17 and older. Click here to see all other prices and excursions.
Expected Length of Visit: A couple of hours, longer if you take one of the longer excursions.
Recommended ages: Not child-oriented but any train enthusiast would enjoy this.

I enjoyed Steamtown but it was the first train-related activity we experienced, and my son was very young and really into 'choo-choos' at the time. Later, we did Day Out With Thomas at Strasburg Railroad which was even more exciting for him. Steamtown may not have been as impressive if we had done Thomas first, since Day Out With Thomas is child-oriented and, well, it's Thomas the Train! There's short train ride we took at Steamtown which, while old and full of character, was not nearly as nice as the one we rode at Thomas. My son was able to actually explore the trains that they had on display at Steamtown so that was fun. It was more relaxing than Thomas.


So, it was interesting and we got some kind of deal that day because my father is a senior citizen. He bought some sort of pass for around $10 and the rest of us didn't have to pay. I believe it was the Golden Age Passport which I don't think is offered anymore (no wonder!) They also have a trolley museum next door but we haven't checked that out yet. There's a mall right there too (the Steamtown Mall, of course).

This was two hours from our home but close to my parents. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have travelled that distance for Steamtown unless I was a real train enthusiast or if I planned on taking one of the longer excursions which are probably great, especially in the fall since the foliage up that way is incredible. There just happen to be other train options closer to home.

Please add your comments regarding this activity or let me know if you have any questions about it that I might be able to answer.

No comments: