Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Wildwood Park - Harrisburg, PA





Website: Wildwood Park
Season: All Year Round (For operating hours see here.)
Cost: FREE!
Approximate Length of Visit: At least an hour for the Nature Center to really experience it all and you can spend as long as you'd like on the nature trail.
Recommended ages: All ages but probably best for young school age on up but there are some things the really young kids would enjoy.

I don't have any good pictures of this park since I was on a field trip responsible for keeping track of three kindergartners who always seemed to be going in three different directions.

I believe that I visited the nature trail once before when I first moved to the Harrisburg area but this was the first time I experienced the Nature Center. The kids really enjoyed it but we were rushed for time. I'll take my son back someday so we can get the full experience.

The Nature Center has a bird-watching area and several educational displays for children. They really do try to make it fun for kids with an area that they can crawl under/through, microscopes, telephones, and other interactive displays. There's an area where they can enjoy nature-themed books and another area where they can do crafts (coloring sheets and basic things like that). They can get a 'stamp' on a card at each station they visit.

There's also a small gift shop but it didn't seem like an appropriate time for me to shop. I really wanted to though. I love gift shops.

Outside there's a lovely nature trail where if you're lucky, you might be able to spot some of the wildlife that you've learned about inside the Nature Center.



This is a really nice free activity that I'm ashamed to only be learning about now.

Please add your comments regarding this activity or let me know if you have any questions about it that I might be able to answer.

No comments: